Starting salary $32,988.80
Work in this classification is skilled in nature, using a variety of expensive and complex equipment. Most of the work is semi-routine, following established policies and procedures; however, a portion requires initiative and independent judgment concerning techniques and methods by which tasks are to be performed. Equipment operation includes, but is not limited to, tractor-trailer, dozer, motor grader, dump trucks, tractors with various attachments, skid steer with various attachments, and other equipment and tools used in performing Street Division and Park Maintenance functions. Employee is subject to twenty-four (24) hour on-call at the direction of the Supervisor.
- Complies with established work and safety policies and procedures.
- Checks equipment thoroughly before use and reports defects to Supervisor. Upon direction, takes equipment to Fleet Maintenance for service and repairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor adjustments and repair to equipment in the field.
- Responsible for loading, securing, delivering and unloading equipment to various job sites.
- Operates equipment safely and accurately in order to avoid overhead and buried utility lines and various other obstacles which may be encountered.
- Constructs, maintains and repairs streets, approaches, walks, curbs, gutters, parking areas and other public property. Pours and finishes concrete.
- Repairs streets and parking areas with asphalt that requires tear-out and relay, overlay and pothole repair. Uses Asphalt mill, Portable Asphalt Box, and roller on some projects.
- Operates sand truck with spreader in winter months to control ice and snow. Spreads sand manually in streets and other areas to control oil, chemical, petroleum and other hazardous spills or leaks.
- Fabricates and installs Street Signs.
- Mows Grass using boom-axe, 15’ brush-hog, and ZTR Mowers.
- Trims or cuts down trees in rights-of-way and other areas which are hazards, hauls away brush, stumps, etc., resulting from clearance work.
- Ability to read and write and make mathematical calculations.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions and directions.
- Experience in equipment operation to avoid overhead and buried utility lines and other obstacles which may be encountered.
- Ability to operate a dozer, Dump Truck, Skid-steer, Tractors, ZTR mowers, Street Sweeper and all other equipment and tools used in street and Park Maintenance functions.
- Knowledge of road building, maintenance and repair procedures.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time under extremely adverse weather conditions during any City emergency and at other times as may be required.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public, elected or appointed City officials and all City employees.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma State Class A Commercial Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
- Two (2) years verifiable experience in equipment operation.
- Two (2) years’ experience in municipal equipment operation.
- One (1) year experience in municipal right-of-way and park mowing.
- Two (1) years’ experience in general concrete construction work.
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Street/Parks Supervisor, but generally performs assigned work with minimal supervision.
The Operator does not formally supervise other employees except on occasions where assigned to temporarily supervise a work crew, including seasonal crew workers, on a specific project or other times as may be necessary.
High School Diploma or GED