Department of Job Listing:
- Work in this classification is highly skilled in nature, using a variety of expensive and complex equipment.
- Most of the work is semi-routine, following established policies and procedures, however, a large portion requires initiative and independent judgment concerning techniques and methods by which tasks are to be performed.
- Equipment operation includes, but is not limited to, tractor-trailer with 80,000 GVW plus, dozer, gradall, crane, motor grader, truck excavator, dump trucks, tractors with various attachments and other equipment and tools used in performing Street Division functions.
- Employee is subject to twenty-four (24) hour on-call at the direction of the Supervisor.
- Complies with established work and safety policies and procedures.
- Checks equipment thoroughly before use and reports defects to Supervisor. Upon direction, takes equipment to Fleet Maintenance for service and repairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor adjustments and repair to equipment in the field.
- Responsible for loading, securing, delivering and unloading heavy equipment to various job sites using tandem axle tractor-trailer.
- Operates equipment safely and accurately in order to avoid overhead and buried utility lines and various other obstacles which may be encountered.
- Constructs, maintains and repairs streets, approaches, walks, curbs, gutters, parking areas and other public property. Pours and finishes concrete.
- Repairs streets and parking areas with asphalt that requires tear-out and relay, overlay and pothole repair. Uses vibratory roller on some projects. Uses air compressor, asphalt kettle and pour posts on crack sealing projects.
- Operates sand truck with spreader in winter months to control ice and snow. Spreads sand manually in streets and other areas to control oil, chemical, petroleum and other hazardous spills or leaks.
- Trims or cuts down trees in rights-of-way and other areas which are hazards, hauls away brush, stumps, etc., resulting from clearance work.
Minimal Acceptable Qualifications:
Ability to read and write and make mathematical calculations.
Ability to understand and carry out oral and/or written instructions and directions.
Experience in heavy equipment operation to avoid overhead and buried utility lines and other obstacles which may be encountered.
Ability to operate crane, motor grader, dozer, gradall, track excavator, and all other equipment and tools used in street maintenance functions.
Knowledge of road building, maintenance and repair procedures.
Knowledge of drainage system installation and maintenance.
Ability to perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time under extremely adverse weather conditions during any City emergency, and at other times as may be required.
Ability to maintain satisfactory working relationships with the public, elected or appointed City officials and all City employees.
Ability to use a respirator when required.
Possession of a valid Oklahoma State Commercial Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
Ability to instruct others in use, operation and care of all equipment used in the Street Division.
Two (2) years verifiable experience in heavy equipment operation.
One (1) year verifiable experience in concrete or asphalt construction, maintenance and repair work.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
Two (2) years experience in municipal heavy equipment operation.
One (1) year experience in municipal right-of-way and park mowing.
Two (2) years experience in general concrete construction work.
Supervision Given and Received:
- Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Street/Parks Supervisor, but generally performs assigned work with minimal supervision.
- The Operator does not formally supervise other employees except on occasions where assigned to temporarily supervise a work crew on a specific project or other times as may be necessary.