Department of Job Listing:
- Performs work of a technical nature utilizing skills, knowledge and abilities normally acquired prior to assuming the position. The employee is responsible for the inspection, investigation and enforcement of construction-related codes and ordinances, serving as a combination inspector as well as enforcing other applicable Federal, State or local ordinances, regulations or codes.
- Responsible for construction inspections, minor plan review and code enforcement investigation and follow-up.
- Serve as liaison for the Code Enforcement/Inspection Division with other City departments, divisions and outside agencies; negotiate and resolve sensitive and controversial issues.
- Prepare and present reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Provide responsible staff assistance to the Chief Building Inspector and support staff.
- Review applications, examine plans as directed and issue permits for residential, commercial and industrial buildings and structures.
- Issue trade licenses for the installation or alteration of all utilities.
- Prepare reports as directed by the Chief Building Inspector.
- Assist the public, designers, engineers, architects and contractors with inquiries about building construction minimum requirements for the City of Del City; provide appropriate and applicable code section references upon request and when writing corrections for plan review and field inspections.
- Provide enforcement for the City’s Tall Weeds and Grass Ordinance.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the fields of building inspection, construction technology and code enforcement.
- Appropriately respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints with tact and diplomacy.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned or required.
Minimal Acceptable Qualifications:
Knowledge of :
- Methods and techniques of building inspection and construction.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Construction-related codes and ordinances enforced by the City, including the BOCA National Building Code, the BOCA National Plumbing Code, the BOCA National Mechanical Code and the National Electrical Code.
- Zoning codes and subdivision regulations.
- Complex principles and techniques of building inspection work.
- Principles of structural design.
- Major types of building construction, materials and methods.
- Accepted safety standards and methods of building construction for commercial, industrial and residential buildings.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations.
Willingness and Ability to:
- Manage and coordinate the scheduling of inspections, including the paperwork involved.
- Prepare reports when requested by the Chief Building Inspector.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Evaluate new service methods and techniques.
- Interpret, explain and enforce Departmental policies and processes.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees of the City as well as citizens, contractors and other professional contacts.
- Enforce necessary regulations with firmness, tactfulness and diplomacy.
- Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following: walking or standing for extended periods of time; operating assigned equipment; climbing ladders and stairs and occasional crawling.
- Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and preception needed for: making observations; communicating with others; reading and writing; operating assigned equipment.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities.
- Drive an automobile or pick-up; obtain and maintain a valid Oklahoma State driver's license; possess a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
- Work overtime when required.
- Handle stressful situations, maintaining tact and diplomacy during potentially hostile situations with irate builders and homeowners.
- Enforce regulations and ordinances fully and impartially and to maintain good relations with the general public and the various trades.
- Work around constructions sites; read plans and reasonably interpret building codes.
- Work all year round in all kinds of weather. Overtime is occasional.
Supervision Given and Received:
- Receives direct supervision and consultation from the Chief Building Inspector. In the absence of the Chief Building Inspector, receives direct supervision and consultation from the Community Services Director.
- Provides supervision to support staff when directed to do so.
Education and Experience:
- High School/GED education with specialized course work or experience in construction, plumbing and mechanical, electrical, carpentry and related fields is required.
- Must have the ability to examine and interpret construction drawings and specifications of new or remodeled construction to determine whether such construction conforms with the approved plans.
- Must have a valid State inspector’s License in two (2) or more fields; other certifications and or licenses preferred, or ability to obtain the other State licenses within three (3) years.